Tallahassee, Fla.—March is National Nutrition Month® and the Florida Department of Health’s Healthiest Weight initiative encourages Floridians to make informed food choices. Sponsored annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, this year’s theme for National Nutrition Month is “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.”
“Healthy foods nourish your body and provide necessary fuel, but can also be a source of enjoyment,” said Interim State Surgeon General Dr. Celeste Philip. “Making healthy food choices is important for children and adults whether it is a nightly family dinner, a special holiday, or a convenient snack.”
To help Floridians ‘Savor the Flavor of Eating Right’ the department has published recipes submitted from Floridians statewide as part of last fall’s “Healthy, Fast, ‘Fresh From Florida’ Challenge,” a partnership with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. These original recipes offer ideas for quick, healthy meals using Fresh from Florida fruits and vegetables. Check out the recipes online at HealtheistWeightFlorida.com.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests following these tips to ‘savor the flavor of eating right.’
- Prioritize family meals and enjoy the food traditions that accompany social gatherings;
- Eat slowly and take time to appreciate the flavors, textures and overall eating Stop and take time between bites. This helps you enjoy your food – and also helps you eat less by giving your stomach time to tell your brain that you are full;
- Develop a mindful eating Think about where you eat the majority of your meals. Take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to find a nice place to mindfully eat instead of multi-tasking through your meals;
- Experiment with new combinations of herbs and spices. Innovative use of herbs and spices offer a real flavor advantage, especially if your goal is to cook with less fat and sodium; and
- Consider consultation with a licensed dietitian/nutritionist. It is essential to make informed food choices based on your individual health and nutrient needs. A licensed dietitian/nutritionist can educate you and guide your food choices, while keeping your tastes and preferences in
To learn more about nutrition and National Nutrition Month®, visit the Academy of Nutrition and
Dietetics website at: www.eatright.org.
For recipes visit: http://www.healthiestweightflorida.com/_documents/fhff-all-recipe-cards.pdf
About Healthiest Weight Florida
Healthiest Weight Florida is a public-private collaboration bringing together state agencies, not- for-profit organizations, businesses and entire communities to help Florida’s children and adults make consistent, informed choices about healthy eating and active living. To learn more about how to be active and make nutritious food choices, visit http://www.healthiestweightflorida.com/.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
Department of Health please visit www.FloridaHealth.gov.